PMN Members: Log in to your member profile to access discounted registration available to PMN members.
Not a member of People's Music Network? Consider joining PMN now!
Registration for PMN Members through the PMN website is closed as of 12:45 AM on 6/17/2019, but you can still register via the Labor Heritage Foundation website (https://www.laborheritage.org/), or in person at the event.
The Cultural Arm of Resistance for 40 Years
Great Labor Arts Exchange
People's Music Network
June 20-23, 2019
Three days of music, art, workshops, concerts, open mics, and jamming with politically engaged artists engaged in social justice.
The ATU Tommy Douglas Conference Center
10000 New Hampshire Avenue
Silver Spring, MD 20903 (near Washington D.C)
The 2019 Great Labor Arts Exchange is hosted by the Labor Heritage Foundation, and PMN is a co-sponsor. Members of People's Music Network with a current membership are eligible for a discounted registration rate through this page.
1. What happens at the Great Labor Arts Exchange?
GLAE's 40 year long history is closely tied to the Labor Movement and creating art about all social justice struggles.
2. What is Included with Registration?
Registering for GLAE as a PMN Member covers:
3. Meal Options
Breakfasts and Dinners are available from the Tommy Douglas Center at the following rates (No cash, credit card only.) :
** Other nearby restaurant options nearby may be less expensive. Check the list of eateries in the area of the Tommy Douglas Center.
4. Where to Stay
Registrants for the Great Labor Arts Exchange are responsible for arranging their own housing. Here are two resources to facilitate that:
1. HOMESTAYS: The Labor Heritage Foundation is arranging homestays in and nearby Silver Spring, MD. There is a new contact number to call to request a homestay. Contact Pamela Larson <email@example.com>, 202-815-3419 and let her know your needs for a place to stay while you are in the DC area. If you need a home stay, please reach out as soon as possible.
2. HOTEL: If you wish to stay in the the Hotel On Campus at the Tommy Douglas Conference Center, call: 240-645-4000 to reserve a room. The Room rates are $139.00 per night for a single room (one K or Q bed, one guest) and $149.00 per night for a double room (two queen beds, two guests), plus applicable taxes in effect at time of check-in (currently 6% MD sales tax and 7% county occupancy tax).
Room rate includes:
5. Matt Jones Scholarship Fund
Eligible active members of PMN may apply for funds from PMN's Matt Jones Scholarship Fund to attend the Great Labor Arts Exchange. The fund supports the participation of young people (25 years or younger) and people of color wishing to attend events sponsored by PMN.
The scholarship disbursement for the 2019 Great Labor Arts Exchange completely covers the cost of registration, but does not cover the cost of transportation, meals (other than the two lunches provided), or housing. To apply, please contact Ben Grosscup (firstname.lastname@example.org).
6. Future PMN Gatherings
PMN is not organizing its own separate Summer Gathering in 2019, but we are exploring how we can pull our resources together for a Summer Gathering in 2020 (Read why here.) The next scheduled PMN Gathering is currently being planned for New York City from January 24-26, 2020.
PMN members attending GLAE for their first time should bring their own ideas and contributions to the event with the understanding that, for the purposes of the 2019 GLAE, PMN members are working within the particular traditions of GLAE, which were developed parallel to PMN's traditions over the course of 40 years.
7. Registering for GLAE without becoming a member of PMN
You may register for (GLAE) using the registration link provided by LHF.
8. Reserving vendor space at GLAE
If you wish to reserve vendor table space, but you register for GLAE as a PMN Member, you will have to make a separate transaction through the same registration link provided by LHF.
9. The Schedule
More details on the schedule (including the PMN workshop track) will be released soon, but we begin on Thursday, June 20 with a welcome orientation at 2:00 pm. Friday and Saturday are full days of activity. Then on Sunday, June 23, there is a feedback and farewell session over breakfast, which ends by 10:00 am.
©2017-2021 People's Music Network for Songs of Freedom and Struggle is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization.